Thursday, April 11, 2013

LG Optimus G Review - Hardware USPs


Left top : first look at the LG Optimus G in the box
Left middle : the accessories which come with the phone - QuadBeat earphone, charger
Left bottom : me with the phone!

Right top : the shiny clear back of the phone, with the slightly raised camera. you can also gauge the size of the phone in comparison with me hand/face
Right middle : LG's QuadBeat earphone valued at 18,000KRW, performance is said to be equivalent to earphones priced at 100,000-200,000 KRW.
Right bottom : the Crystal Reflection Finish of the back, topped with gorrila glass

Phone Specifications :
*True HD IPS Plus Display, 1.6 times clearer than AMOLED, using less power too
*320ppi + Stripe RGB IPS Panel gives colour accuracy with no distortion for natural and lifelike images
*1280x768 / 4.7 WXGA (15:9)
*2100mAh battery with 800 charging cycles
*Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro Quad-Core with LTE capabilities
*1.5Ghz Qualcomm Krait
*2GB DDR RAM
*32GB internal memory
*Camera 13 megapix (back), 1.3megapix (front)
*131.9x68.9x8.45mm, 145g
*Andriod 4.1.2 (JellyBean)

THREE hardware USPs, and what they mean, practically, to the user (ie. me!)
1. Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 / 1.5Ghz Qualcomm Krait
- I love this, because it allows me to powerdown or power up the cores independantly. I'm a control freak, so allowing me the capability to decide whether I want to power up all cores at the expense of battery life, or power down some cores when my battery is low is great.
- It's also super fast and provides me with performance comparable to a PC. I haven't experienced any lag at all when using the phone. I tend to put on many many apps at once; typically skype, whatsapp, facebook, twitter, instagram, browser, google maps, gmail, crunchyroll... and the performance and switching between the apps is flawless.

2. True HD IPS Plus Display, Stripe RGB IPS Panel, Zerogap Touch
- I'd like to talk a little about the Zerogap Touch. The ITP sensor film is directly printed on the cover glass, which is different from other phones where there is an air gap between the ITO film sensor and cover glass. I don't know about you, but I have somewhat clumsy fingers, and I generally dislike touchscreen typing. However the Zerogap Touch is really surprisingly responsive, and it give me very very sharp images, with no diffused reflection.
- When I watch videos on my other devices, the colours, expecially black always seem a little pixelated and greenish. I don't encounter this watching the same videos, with the LG Optimus G, which is very pleasant.

3. 2100 mAh battery with 800 charging cycles
- I can't really say I'm fond of having an internal battery which cannot be swopped out, but the 800 charging cycles (usually its only 500 cycles) does make up for it. The battery does last me one whole day, with heavy use, but I'd still bring my portable charger out with me in case.


No comments: