Thursday, April 04, 2013

Unboxing my DELL ST 2429L monitor, Photos taken with my LG Optimus G

I've been playing a lot using my laptop and even though its a 17 inch Alienware laptop, I've been finding the monitor too small. Not that 17 inches is SMALL, but because I put my SteelSeries 6GV2 infront of it, so the screen is super far away.
SO, I decided to hook it up to the DELL 24 inch LED monitor and use the laptop to power everything and as a second screen

Here's the set up process! It was really painless and idiot proof and would have been dome in 2 minutes if I hadn't been so obsessed with taking photos of it with my new LG Optimus G.

Still in the box, you can see my Alienware m17x peeking over from the back.

peeking at me tantalisingly after i slit open the top of the box.
Well padded in recyclable material so there was no damage to the monitor after I towed it home unceremoniously klonking it against random objects.

The stuff that comes with the monitor.

From left to right - DVI (white) cable, round monitor base, neck stand (for the lack of knowing what to call this part) that has to be fastened to the round base.

The monitor arrives attached to the blue VGA cable, which I ended up using because my Alienware doesn't have a DVI port and I don't have a HDMI cable on hand. The monitor DOES have a HDMI port, and I presume this would be the preferred port to use. Unfortunately the monitor doesn't come with a HDMI cable.
For more information on the DVI and VGA cables, read this http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/04/KCS/KcsArticles/ArticleView?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&docid=DSN_E5A47058AF97BCD7E0301E0A55175EA8

Screwing the neck onto the round base was probably the most complicated step, and even that was very easily accomplished. The screw is fixed into the base, and you need to fit the neck on nicely and just make sure the screw is straight.
Then it's a simple matter of fastening the neck onto the screen.
That's how it looks after it's been fastened on from the back. Nice and neat.


The monitor from the front with all the sticky plastic still on.
I removed every single bit of that, btw, except for the bit covering the round base. I find it easier to clean dust off the base that way.
My completed set up! This shows the same display on both screens, but I later switched it to extended display mode so that I can use the whole screen. (My laptop is 1920x1200, but the monitor is 1920x1080.)
In case you don't know how, read this http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100530222739AAknopd
or you can leave me a comment and I'll try to help.
=D

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

With havin so much content do you ever run into any problems of plagorism or copyright violation?
My website has a lot of unique content I've either authored myself or outsourced but it looks like a lot of it is popping it up all over the internet without my authorization. Do you know any solutions to help reduce content from being ripped off? I'd definitely appreciate it.


My homepage - Altgold verkaufen

furryfish said...

Hmm... im.sorry! I dont think my blog is popular enough to have people actually wanting to copy stuff. I will figure it out if it happens to me i guess? If you have a solution, do let me know so i can pre-empt the problem.
Gl!

furryfish said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
quickduie said...

carry the following brands: Raritan, ServerLink, Avocent Adder KVM switches, USB products, computer network cables, computer accessories, digital signage, audio visual products and cables,

www.dueltek.com.au

sonnjita said...

This Raritan Switchman SW2 is usually a desktop computer KVM (Keyboard, Online video media & Mouse) move which allows entry to 2 computers from your solitary gaming system (Keyboard, Sensitive mouse in addition to Monitor).
http://www.dueltek.com.au/collections/kvm-switches/products/2-port-usb-kvm-switch-raritan