Tuesday, March 27, 2007

[ 27032007 12.23am bend.it.like.beckham.revived ]

i just caught the show again today. and alot of what the show was about rang true.
its about fighting for what you want to do, against your race, culture, and most importantly- social stereotypes.
it also brings in the politics which can happen even among the like minded females fighting on the same soccer team. even though i feel this bit wasn't elaborated on sufficiently- the point of conflict being a guy that 2 of them were interested in.

as you all know, asterisk is opening up for trials. and the fundamentals of why i game, the reason behind an all gals team, have been questioned. all this has made me question my motives once again...

its not easy to pursue gaming for me. through my entire schooling career, it was always studies first, game when i have the time. i can only thank God for giving me enough discipline so that i managed to complete my studies without retaining, and even, doing well enough.
its not just may parents though, a lady from an agency called me the other day and she asked me what i have been part timing as. after i gave her my impressive list of gaming related part time jobs, she was totally astounded... she was like"but that totally doesnt fit your profile!" i do have to go against what i've been taught all my life about what a successful student from my line should be like after graduation.

my parents are just starting to panic about how much i game, maybe its cos i'm alot free-er now to pursue my long time hobby, whatever it is, they have been referring me to sites and articles about gaming addiction. =.="
also, they dont see it as a wholesome activity. they'd rather i be out there teaching orphans to read and keeping the elderly company. stuff like that. but i'm not so selfless. in fact, if you wanna come down to it, i'm actually a pretty selfish person. most of us are, i guess. its just whether you want to admit it or not.
so, i'd like to go into a career to do with gaming. but i think they wont have it. of course if i really want to, there isnt anything much that they can do to stop me, but i know they wont be thrilled. which is interesting, since they've always said things like "why game so much? gaming can earn you a living is it?"

another reason why its so difficult is that i'm simply, not good enough. see, in the show, jess was good enough. she had the raison detre to defy everything she was taught.
i dont.

Originally Posted by xsomebodyx
Honestly, yes. If they can do well in games like CS, why can't they excel in DotA too? By comparing them with guys, it's not really fair, as studies have shown that the proportion of male gamers is slightly more than female gamers. BUT on the other hand, the number of female gamers have increased dramatically over the past decade. Seriously, I don't see why we won't be able to see top female teams duking it out with top male teams in competitions.Oh yes, I just thought of something else. Has anyone ever considered MIXED TEAMS? =D That would be uber cool or.

me:"end of the day, there are many reasons why i would choose to commit to my gals team than a mixed team, simply because, if i'm in a mixed team, i would EXPECT to win. not that i dont want to win in a gals team, just that its expectations vs dream/aim.and you dont have the silent pressure that you're being blamed by the guys."

Originally Posted by <3dwarf
usually gers are thot to be a weaker gender, be it sports, gaming, etc... but it's kinda true you see, usually if gers started the same time as guys in any of these activities, most likely the guys will win, not sure why, however there's still possibility that gers can win in gaming but sports i wud have to say nah... good luck asterisk! wee ^^

me:"tell that to my male sailing teammates back in JC who used to run their 2.4km slower than me. and its not that they are weak. i used to do 11minutes."

when all's said and done :
xsomebodyx"gogo gals out there prove to the guys that u r up to the challenge =D (sry i just want more eyecandy :X)"

=.="

its an age old debate. and i dont believe either side will ever be totally convinced of the other.

***

back to asterisk* trials...
kim, d4wn`, kelly, kelly's fren, cass, kristin, impulsedragon, impulsedragon's friend, hq gal, nicole, lingzi, yann
12. anymore takers?

***
i watch you while you are sleeping
you belong to me~*

No comments: